Do you believe in a basic and limited curriculum?
Do you believe that both parents and teachers should have a say in the educational process?
Do you believe that children should be held accountable for their actions at school, even though it means establishing “tough” consequences?
Do you want a safe environment that features a warm, congenial atmosphere that is also firm and fair?
If you answered “yes” to these questions, you probably believe in traditional education. However, there is more to it than this.
Reid Traditional Schools’ Painted Rock Academy is established as a traditional style school. It gives parents an alternative to the regular neighborhood school. We have a “back to the basics” format in which much emphasis is placed on reading, writing (penmanship and creative writing), and mathematics.
Some of Our Guiding Principles:
Following are some of the principles guiding Painted Rock Academy as a traditional school:
- We will create an atmosphere conducive to the pursuit of academic excellence.
- We will teach students to read, write, speak, spell, and compute accurately and effectively.
- Our teachers will train students in the logical application of the scientific method.
- Our teachers will challenge students to do their best by requiring that all work be done properly and on time.
- Our students will learn the fundamental principles of citizenship, discipline, respect, and personal responsibility.
- Our students will know and understand our history, heritage, and government.
- We will help students develop strong morals and excellent character.
- We will help students develop a spirit of individual achievement and appropriate competition.
Our Methods Include:
In order to accomplish these guiding principles listed above, we use methods that set us apart from other schools and from the heart of traditional education.
- We offer an advanced curriculum.
- Our early reading and language arts program is based on an intense phonics system, which has proven to be highly successful.
- The curriculum is standardized throughout the grade levels.
- Emphasis is placed on dictation, memorization, recitation, and whole-group teaching techniques.
- Creative writing is encouraged. Teachers grade the mechanics as well as the content.
- We encourage traditional methods of teaching.
- Drill and practice are a regular part of the educational program.
- Meaningful homework is a regular part of the school day for all students. Homework reinforces work that has been practiced in the classroom so that students will be able to experience success along with challenge.
- Sufficient practice is given to each concept to ensure that it is mastered.
- Parents are involved in the learning process.
- Classroom arrangement highlights individual achievement and accomplishment.
- The entire school is structured to support academic achievement.
- Classroom interruptions are kept to a minimum. Pull-out programs are avoided. Announcements are scheduled.
- Structured classrooms emphasize appropriate student behavior. Each classroom provides a quiet, orderly atmosphere in which learning can occur.
- Parents are involved in the development and implementation of school programs. A strong parent organization is key to the success of a traditional school.
- We provides a safe, wholesome environment.
- All teachers strictly enforce discipline as a team.
- A strong dress code is established and is strictly enforced.
- There is no tolerance for all forms of violence and substance abuse.